My church studied the book of 1 John in a sermon series on “Living Deep.” At the end of the series, my pastor gave us a list of fourteen steps to help us go deeper in our faith walk. Step three is Depend on the Holy Spirit.
Christians believe that God is three Persons in one: God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Most Christians don’t pay a lot of attention to the Holy Spirit, the one Jesus called the Counselor or Advocate. Yet Jesus said that no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born again, that is, born of the Spirit. The Spirit gives birth to spirit. Jesus promised to send the Spirit to his followers. The apostle Paul likened the Spirit to a deposit, a guarantee of what is to come.
Why should believers depend on the Spirit? What exactly does the Holy Spirit do? Jesus and the apostles provided many answers to these questions.
- The Spirit testifies about Jesus, reminding believers of everything Jesus said.
- The Spirit glorifies Jesus and affirms his oneness with God.
- The Spirit reveals God’s wisdom.
- The Spirit teaches believers about spiritual realities.
- The Spirit proves that the world is wrong about sin, righteousness and judgment.
- The Spirit searches and reveals all things, even the deep thoughts of God.
- The Spirit leads believers to live a spiritual life, which is not a life of the flesh.
- The Spirit brings hope, peace and joy to those who believe.
- The Spirit produces good fruit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
- The Spirit advocates and intercedes for God’s people in accordance with God’s will.
- The Spirit guides believers into truth and helps us discern light from darkness.
- The Spirit enables true worshipers to worship God.
God came into the world as a Son of Man so that we might be saved. The Savior is called Immanuel, which means “God with us.” When Jesus returned to the one who sent him, Jesus sent the Holy Spirit so that God could continue to be with us.
As I studied verses about the Holy Spirit, Francesca Battistelli’s song, Holy Spirit ran through my mind. Let us become more aware of your presence. Let us experience the glory of your goodness.
Holy Spirit, You are welcome here
Come flood this place and fill the atmosphere
Your glory, God, is what our hearts long for
To be overcome by Your presence, Lord
Your presence, Lord
- Isaiah 11:2; 34:16
- John 3:6, 4:23-24; 6:36; 14:15-31; 15:4-8, 26-27; 16:7-15
- Romans 8:1-17; 14:17; 15:13
- 1 Corinthians 2:6-16
- 2 Corinthians 5:5
- Galatians 5:13-26
- 1 Thessalonians 1:6
- 1 John 2:26-27; 4:1-6