The pastor of my church preached a sermon series on Living Deep and then gave us a list of 14 practical steps to help us go deeper in our faith. I took the liberty of rephrasing a few of them. The most useful piece of advice for me is to look beyond what I can see to the deeper reality of what God is doing behind the scenes.
- Trust in God’s loving plans.
- Trust in God’s loving protection.
- Depend on the Holy Spirit.
- Look beyond what you can see to the deeper reality of God’s work.
- See yourself through God’s loving eyes. (Examine yourself accurately based on God’s truth.)
- Come out of hiding and confess your brokenness.
- Simplify your life and make time with God a priority.
- Dive deep and immerse yourself in Scripture.
- Remember who you once were and embrace your new identity. (Learn from your history and get wiser.)
- Focus on who you are (and can become) rather than on what you should do.
- Replace unhealthy thoughts with healthy ones.
- Choose the right path each day. (Choose a new direction and start on it again each day.)
- Cultivate thankfulness, generosity, and kindness.
- Become an everyday vessel for God to use.
And here’s one of my own to grow on:
- Seek God’s truth and wisdom.